Monday, September 29, 2008

Surprise, surprise

Listen, I'm the first guy in line (or at least I'm trying to cut so I can get there) any time people want to pick on the cheesy art and media that most Christians try to make and propagate. I don't care for much mainstream Christian music, I never watch Christian networks (I usually just end up cussing at the TV), and hardly ever go to the movies to pay actual money to see "Christian movies." But even a cranky old cynic like me enjoys it when we actual get some decent reviews for one of our efforts.

Check this out.

At the time of this posting, Rotten Tomatoes gives it a 63 score, which is better than it gave pretty much every other movie among the recent releases (except for the new Coen Brothers flick, but I mean, come on). Depending on when you read this -- and what other publications have chimed in at that point -- that score may have dropped. But right now, it's a 63. Not bad. And hey, no matter what happens, we can all stop and pick our jaws up off the floor knowing that the New York Times actually kinda liked Kirk Cameron's latest movie. Just that by itself could very well be a sign of the apocalypse.

...We now return to our regularly scheduled cynicism...

No, I'm probably not going to pay to see this.

4 comments:

Chrys and Mike said...

i was skeptical but went to see it after we were given tickets. it really is a good movie, much better than flywheel or facing the giants. kirk cameron is great and the message is undoubtedly pro-marriage. i left the theater feeling inspired and encouraged.

i'd definitely recommend it!

chrys

LP said...

Oh, great. Is this going to make me cry?

Funny thing was, I heard some trailer in the background; TV/Radio or something & had no idea what it was about. After I heard the title I thought, "That should be a movie based on the Christianese cliche, 'well, he's got fire insurance but he's not walking...."

Thanks for the tip. Maybe I'll go to the matinee all alone. Just me in some drawstring pants with the jumbo tub of buttered popcorn, box of Raisinettes, nachos, 2 footlongs & a large Diet Coke.

D.O. said...

While you're not spending money on tickets to this particular Christian movie, I recommend also not spending your money on the more highly-ranked Coen Brother's Burn After Reading. I was very excited about this film's release and subsequently disappointed upon actually seeing it. So there's that.

Chris and Amanda said...

Fireproof is actually a really good movie. I was skeptical because I thought Facing the Giants was cheezy but came away challenged to be a better husband and encouraged that maybe Christians can make decent movies.