Sunday, May 4, 2008

Rock is the Cure for Blog-Block

I haven’t had much to write about lately. I’m done with house shows until mid/late May. Plus everybody around here has been sick. Oh, and I can’t think of anything really worth making fun of. So basically, I’ve had blog-block. I don’t know if that’s an official term or not. It sounds like an official term.

Anyway, in lieu of something brilliant, I’ve decided to plug a few of my pals in the music biz. Here’s the thing. I’ve got tons of friends who make music for a living. Some of them are really famous and have absolutely no need for any plugging from me. But most of them are about where I am. In other words, they have a decent amount of fans/supporters, but they can always use a little more. They're just trying to make a living.

So I figured I’d point you to 4 of my current favorite CD’s, that just happen to feature actual friends of mine. Here’s my guarantee: even though these are my friends, these are absolutely excellent music projects that absolutely deserve your money. Nobody’s paying me (or even asking me) to do this. I just want you to know about good music, especially when it’s made by people are actually really cool, really God-loving, really humble. I mean, how rare is that in the music business? Don’t answer that.

OK, in no particular order, here is

THE RKWT LIST OF GREAT CD’S MADE BY GREAT PEOPLE

(or)

CD’S YOU SHOULD BUY RIGHT NOW EVEN THOUGH YOU’VE POSSIBLY NEVER HEARD OF THE PEOPLE WHO MADE THEM

Todd Wright All the Freed
I know I’ve plugged this one before. But here’s the deal. That was a couple of months ago, and this CD is still getting played a few times a week in my home, my car, and on various mp3 devices in my family. This is the best worship CD that I’ve ever been involved in recording, including my own. Every song is good, and several of the songs are crazy-awesome. Stop making excuses and go buy it. Oh, and the link to his site just has a cool pic and that's all. If you want more info on Todd, join the masses and go to his blog.

John Sherrill Song of the Redeemed or Faithful or Join in the Song
Listen, I don’t know the title of it. I’m not even sure where you can get it (maybe here or here or even here). I got an advance copy because John is my pal. But I’m telling you, this is far and away the best thing he’s ever done. it's just ridiculous how great this thing is. I’ve already done a couple of the songs for my church, and my people have been going bonkers for them. It’s just a fantastic, great-sounding CD of songs written by a guy who actually knows and loves Jesus and lives the Kingdom.

Andy Gullahorn Reinventing the Wheel
Andy don’t need my help. He’s got lots of friends who are more famous than I. But I just can’t help it. This CD is funny and thought-provoking and tear-jerking and just plain great. Amazing acoustic guitar work, great songwriting, and brilliant-but-simple production. Andy makes it look easy. Buy. Now. Please.

ClairmontLions Somethingorother
Again, I don’t know the exact title. Something about lions. The CD isn’t out yet. I know, I know. I shouldn’t be asking you to buy a CD unless I can actually point you to a venue for purchase. My bad. But I’m just so excited about this record. Ben Love and Michael Steele (who play with/for me a lot), along with lead singer and head songwriter Josh Taylor, make up Clairmont. We’ve been recording this CD at the MixLab for a couple of months, and it’s just really, really great rock music. I so wish I could write music like this, but I’m just too much of a pop pansy. What’s their sound? Think this meets this, with a little bit of this. And maybe a touch of this. But absolutely none of this, thank heavens. It should be out in 6-8 weeks. Watch for updates -- and listen to clips and live tracks and such -- here and here, and maybe here.

That’s all for now. Go buy music and tell me what you think.

2 comments:

Michael said...

I believe the term "blog block" would refer to when you are trying to blog, but your wife suddenly shouts from the kitchen, "stop blogging and help me with the dishes."

Shane said...

i tell my wife not to yell at me - if she needs something, she should text me

haha!