Sunday, September 16, 2007

OKMOKS part 2

I like the way that sounds: "okmoks." Like a race of semi-humans in an Orson Scott Card book. The Okmoks descended upon on the Castle of Slunderkahn in full force, their massive webbed feet roaring thunderously, their broadswords glistening in the light of the twin midday suns... blah blah blah, like that. Anyway...

Here’s more of what happened on the OK/KS/MO leg of the Mi Casa es Su Casa tour. Sorry for the delay. I've been slammed since I got home. In fact, I leave again tomorrow for the PA/MD tour. So I'm pressed for time. This might be a little more brief than the last one, in terms of show-for-show details.

Friday in Clever, MO

This pic didn't turn out too good. It was raining, and I think maybe the lens got fogged up or something. Anyway, that's me and Michael with Brandon Hix. Brandon and his wife Rebecca hosted us for a house show in Clever, MO, near Springfield. The Hix family inspired and challenged me like crazy. I won't lay out their whole personal life for the world without their permission, but I will say that they model teach-ability, generosity, faith, and true religion like few families I've met. I'm serious. These people are amazing. Michael and I had a great time hanging out with them and a bunch of their friends. About 20-25 people sat under the carport and graciously listened to us play.

Below are a few pics of the venue and the show, taken by my new friend Ty Davisson.


Saturday and Sunday in Wichita, KS

For the second day in a row, Michael and I drove pretty far. Lots of "have you ever heard this band?" going on in the car. Man, I'm old. I've never heard of anything.

Here was something interesting. The lovely town of Gas, KS was on our route, and we snapped this photo:

Rule #26 in "King's Rules of Great Comedy" is "Let the easy jokes go." However, rule #13 is "Fart jokes are always funny," so you see how I'm stuck?

So here are just a few:

"Excuse me, ma'am. I need to make a deposit. You might want to back up a little."

"OH NO! It's a robbery! What? Oh sorry, sir... that's just your finger? I thought you were pointing a gun at me. Yes, of course. I'd be glad to pull it. Will you need a receipt with that?"

"Whoa! What's that smell? Who's been writing hot checks?"

I could do this for days. Anybody want to join in? Keep it clean, kids. I mean, as clean as possible, considering the subject matter.

But seriously folks...

We had a fantastic time in Wichita. Pastor Robb Brunansky was our gracious host. He and his family set up 3 venues for us during our time there. We did a house show on Saturday, a Sunday service at their church on Sunday morning, and a concert at a neighboring church Sunday night. All of it was really great. Good people, and lots of fun.

Pics:



Above is me and Michael with Robb and his sweet family. Below you've got all of us, plus some of their family and friends.



After Wichita, my voice was totally gone, so Michael and I had to cancel the Tulsa show. I'm pretty sure we're going to reschedule that show, and add a few others as well. There were a few folks in the are who didn't get a show this time around, so we might add those next time.

Tomorrow we're off for leg #2. Hopefully I'll have more updates soon.

And hey, let's hear some Bank of Gas jokes, people. Come on, this is comedy at its simplest and best.

Good day.

6 comments:

Jeff said...

"I'd like to make a withdraw" "sure, here you go sir", opens glass jar, *sniff* "ah, thank you" haha what would it look like if they had those air tube things so you could drive up and "make a deposit"....

Todd Wright said...

so, have you discovered any cool new bands on this trip?

Robb said...

Ross, in Non-Religious Me at the end a female sings something three times, and I can never make out the words of what she/they are saying. Can you help me out? What are the lyrics there?

Hendrick said...

Dude, did you get a whiff of that guy?

He must be rich!

N.W. Clerk said...

Just some thoughts...

How exactly do I make an out of state deposit? That's a lot of air to travel.

Instead of offering lollipops, baked beans and broccoli will be provided. Maybe that would be just another "get rich quick" scheme?

The scene at any ATM would be quite a sight. Use your imagination.

Counterfeit money? Hmmmm...I'm thinking whoopie cushion.

LP said...

In passing, our crack research team here at Bank of Gas got wind of your blogspot. Few jokes squeak by us without raising a hair. In order to relieve the pressure from our legal team, we will monitor your site to assure a cap is placed on offensive commentary. We hope this clears the air and we would like to express our sincere appreciation for your cooperation in this matter.

See Below.