Sunday, September 14, 2008

It's just that kind of world.


I know I've been a little lazy with the blogging lately, and that even when I have been posting, it's been lots of links and other boring stuff, but I just couldn't pass this up.

First, I ran across this article. It's not that long, but in case you don't want to read it, it briefly describes a trip that Matt Damon (who is really awesome at pretending to be somebody else and admittedly does an awesome impression of the world's worst actor) and Wyclef Jean (who is really awesome at producing songs that actually waste lyrics to announce the names of whoever is singing the song somewhere during the intro section) took to storm-battered, insanely-poor Haiti. The people of Haiti are facing bleak, mind-blowingly harsh conditions, and that shouldn't be ignored. But that's not actually the point of my writing.

I'm getting to what the point is...

One quote from the article:

"Damon and Jean are encouraging more people to help the United Nations raise more than US$100 million for an estimated 800,000 Haitians in need of aid after four devastating tropical storms and hurricanes since mid-August."

Cool. Thanks Matt. Good work Wyclef. Glad you guys are trying to raise money. And gee whiz, a hundred million bucks is a lot. Right? Right?

Well, maybe not.

Thanks celebrities. You've really helped me put it all in perspective.

4 comments:

Johnny! said...

Yes, of course the solution is the United Nations. Dudes couldn't get their friends and colleagues together and raise twice that much in one day.

Chase and Laura Bowers said...

Nice perspective Ross. My wife pointed out to me a few months ago that when everyone was cooiing over Brangelina giving away 8 million dollars last year, that just did not seem like a lot with the $56 million they kept.

Johnny! said...

But it's almost twice their tithe. Good for them! They outdid most Christians.

chrismaroon said...

I always look for a charitable organization like the U.N. that probable spends 50% of any "donation" on overhead and other such pay-off items. Why not just purchase the $99.5 million worth of usefull stuff and the other $500K to get it delivered and distributed. Actors and their charitable wisdom. Well, I guess it's the thought that counts.

Great post.